Friday 3 April 2015

Fibre Friday #8

Stranded Fibre Friday Knitting Amy Edwards Green
This week is a short one - I don't know where the time went but it feels like I hardly got anything done! I put a few more stripes on my scrap socks - I love how the colours are looking together. Striped socks are such a good way of using up leftover sock yarn if you don't fancy making sock yarn blankets! (You can see some of my previous pairs of scrappy socks here and here). I'm using leftover hand dyed yarn and size 2.25mm (US 1) needles, I'm going to keep striping the blues and turquoise and use the purple yarn I used for the toe, for the heels and an inch on the cuff.
Stranded Fibre Friday Knitting Amy Edwards Green
I'd been hoping to get my lace sleeve inserts for my Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli finished this week. That didn't happen, but I did put another repeat and a half on them last night while catching up on some tv. I'm using Madeline Tosh Sock in the 'Moorland' colourway - in the pattern, the sleeve inserts are knit out of a contrasting colour yarn but I decided I'd get more wear out of the cardigan if it was all green - although I'm falling slowly out of love with it as I knit! Hopefully that's just the never ending lace talking...
Stranded Fibre Friday Knitting Amy Edwards Green
The project that got the most work this week the jumper I'm knitting for a friend's little girl. I'm knitting Sirdar 1310 which is a stockinette sweater with a texture pattern around the neck, I modified the pattern to knit in the round up to the arm holes, because why seam when you don't have to?!  It's knit out of Rico Baby So Soft in colour '014' which is 100% acrylic - but a 'higher end' acrylic if you know what I mean? It's not the £1.59 balls that come in 35937593 colours, it has a pretty good hand for acrylic and a nice stitch definition - good for baby knits that need to be thrown in the washing machine on a regular basis. This week I finished the body and started the first sleeve - the increases are done and I just need to knit until it reaches the required length. I have until May to get it finished (it's a birthday gift) so there's plenty of time, although I want to regain the needles I'm knitting it out of as all the projects I want to cast on seem to require 4mm (US 6) needles and I have no idea where all my sets have gone!
Stranded Fibre Friday Knitting Amy Edwards Green Stranded Fibre Friday Knitting Amy Edwards Green
I haven't been doing any spinning, the wheel is languishing unloved in a corner of the living room, but I'll probably get some done during the final of The Voice tomorrow night ;) I have been doing some dyeing though, both fibre and yarn, experimenting with some new bases. The above photo is of some Merino drying on a rack I managed to squeeze into the shower… I'm nothing but resourceful! 

Hopefully next week I'll have more to share - I started a new job this week so that's kept me busy, but I'm sure I'll settle in to a routine soon! In case you didn't catch it, I blogged about my Bristol yarn haul earlier in the week.

I hope you've had a lovely Good Friday, I'm off to catch up on some blog reading and maybe watch some netflix while working on the baby sweater. Enjoy the Easter weekend if you're celebrating it, enjoy the guilt free chocolate eating if not! ;)


1 comment:

  1. Oh I do look forward to Fibre Friday! Love the socks - I've been working on a pair for the 4 year old's birthday towards the end of April, and I wonder if they'll ever get done... Good luck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete