Friday 3 July 2015

Fibre Friday #21

It's been all about socks for me this week - it's been too hot to spin (my hands felt the fibre when they get too sweaty! haha) so I've been concentrating on knitting smaller projects…
Stranded Blog Fibre Friday Knitting Socks Firstly, I finished up my Simple Skyp Socks by Adrienne Ku out of Hedgehog Fibres in the 'Seaglass' colourway. I love these - they're so soft, the pattern held my interest and yet was easy enough to be carry along knitting and the colour is perfect. They're a little shorter than I usually knit my socks - but that's because my cast on was a little bit too tight to go any higher up on my calves (chubby legs for the win!) and I'd rather have short socks than socks that cut off my circulation. I think I'll try a tubular cast on for my next pair of top down socks.
Stranded Blog Fibre Friday Knitting Socks Next up are the Budleigh socks by Rachel Coopey from her book Coop Knits Socks. The first sock is finished and I'm working on the ribbing for the second sock. I'm using Skein 'Top Draw' in the 'Blackcurrant' colourway. These are the most cabled socks I think I've ever knitted and it's the perfect antidote to all the vanilla socks I've been working on lately!
Stranded Blog Fibre Friday Knitting Socks
I also finished the first of my handspun socks out of a BFL/Nylon/Cashmere blend from Lime Green Jelly - who incidentally has some very pretty fibre in her etsy shop at the moment. Knitted toe up on 2mm (US 0) needles, with a short row heel - I'm so pleased with how the first one has turned out. I was initially concerned that I'd overplied the yarn - which I had - and I thought it'd be a little too ropey, but I think they'll be fine. I love the subtle striping of the colours - there will definitely be more handspun socks in my future!
Stranded Blog Fibre Friday Knitting Socks Finally on the sock front, I cast on for a pair of Seaweed Socks which are a free pattern by Wendy D. Johnson - you can find it and a whole host of her other free patterns right here. Stranded Blog Fibre Friday Knitting Socks These are being knit out of a 75% merino, 20% nylon, 5% stellina blend from Hand Dyed By Kate in the colourway 'Midnight Sparkle'. I'm not sure if she dyes repeatable colourways, but she does have a small selection of pretty yarns in her shop at the moment - I love stumbling across new UK based indie dyers - it's much more cost effective than constantly shipping in yarn from the States!
Stranded Blog Fibre Friday Knitting Socks
I also cast on and knit a very small amount on another Easy Peasy Newborn Hat by Keri McKeirnan out of leftovers from the socks I made my friend Katy for her birthday - Manos Del Uruguay Alegria in colourway 'A8106'.

It's been a long week over here and I'm more than ready for the weekend (and hopefully some cooler weather!).

No comments:

Post a Comment